Re: Bell

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bell
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:08:20 +0100

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MilesBader#echo-area-bell
>
>> Rather, what's called for is a way to mute `ding' in a flexible way. What
>> Juri
>> suggested wrt putting a silence property on function symbols, and what I
>> suggested wrt binding a silence variable, would provide what's needed. And
>> maybe
>> there are other suggestions.
>
> Maybe what Miles suggested would be a better ring bell function?
> What I like is an error message highlighted in the echo-area.
>
> Currently in most cases a flashing screen is accompanied
> with an error message.  I think it's a bug when there is
> no error message displayed.

I agree to that.

We had a discussion a while ago related to this. There are a lot of
error raised that are not really errors. Raising an error is instead
used as a simple mean to go to top level. I proposed implementing
instead something like

  (throw 'top-level msg)

for this, but Stefan replied it would be better implement user-error
for this. I sent a patch for this:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/117892

but it must have hit a black hole or something. Since it is around
again maybe we should consider that now?