Re: scroll-top-bottom

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: scroll-top-bottom
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:14:14 +0200

>> This feature is implemented by CUA mode, but it would be very useful
>> for users who don't use CUA.  To support it in the core, I've implemented
>> a new user option `scroll-top-bottom' (that defines the scrolling behavior
>> at the top/bottom of the buffer).
>
> When scrolling by a page at a time, this makes sense, but when scrolling
> only by a single line at a time, it's very odd for point to suddenly
> jump several lines at a time.  So I think the behavior should be refined
> so it doesn't just "move to BEGV or ZV" but instead "when scrolling by
> N lines can't be done, move by N lines instead".

And `cua-scroll-up' and `cua-scroll-down' have the same problem.
I'll try to create new commands based on `cua-scroll-up' and
`cua-scroll-down' but without these problems.

> And yes, I think this would be better done at the Lisp level by
> introducing new commands so it doesn't affect other code that calls
> scroll-(up|down).

I see what you mean.  These new commands should be a wrapper
like `next-line' for `forward-line'.  This will allow to bring
scrolling closer to point-moving commands feature-wise,
e.g. scrolling could also respect the value `goal-column'
like `next-line' does.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/