Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:24:21 -0400

    * start an editor (emacs was the default editor, so it would be started in
a great number of different contexts)
    * somehow generate text
    * sweep out an area with the mouse
    * type replacement text

Thanks.  That is what I would have guessed.
So they care what happens when they type a self-inserting character
after mouse-selection, but they don't care what happens
when they type a self-inserting character after C-SPC selection
or C-x C-x selection.

However, note what Alan wrote.  Maybe some of the users of
those other programs think that Emacs is better.

    > I've just spoken to my sister, an "ordinary" computer user.  She says
    > she normally uses the <delete> key after marking text before typing
    > further.  She also gets annoyed "every now and then" when marked text
    > gets accidentally deleted by typing, though "it's not too bad" if
    > there's an undo key sequence.

    Yes, that is normal today since that is how it works during most of
    the editing people do today.

Alan's point is that one ordinary user dislikes what most programs do
today.  She dislikes it in the other programs, and she would dislike
it in Emacs too if we made Emacs do it.