RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:43:36 -0700

> >> The reason is that Emacs has two distinct uses for the mark - as a
> >> mark, and as one end of the region.
> >
> > No, no, no. The mark is *ALWAYS* one of the region. By definition.
>
> push-mark and pop-mark are not region-centric commands.

And?  No one said they were. (Although they certainly do affect the region.)

I was plenty clear that there are other uses of the mark (_and the region_),
besides type-to-replace the region text. I specifically mentioned navigational
use of previous mark positions and the mark.

Although there are different ways to use the mark (and the region), it is not
correct to say that one way uses the mark as a mark and the other uses the mark
as the end of the region.

Some uses of the mark don't care where point is and don't care which text is in
the region. Granted. But the mark is always one end of the region, and the
region is always positioned at the mark. There is no mark without the region
(even an empty one) and no region without the mark.

And some (many) uses of the region that do care about both of its ends and its
text have nothing to do with type-to-replace. Even if select-and-type-to-replace
is a common operation, it constitutes only one way to use the mark and region.