Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:54:42 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I already said that I'd consider transient-mark-mode _off_ again a good
>> solution and have an active region for shift-selection, mouse-selected,
>> and explicit temporary transient-mark-mode.  In which case I don't mind
>> delete-selection-mode much since it is in effect only for explicitly
>> selected _regions_ instead of being a side-effect of using the _mark_.
>>
>> I have heard no arguments against that.
>

> That might be because no one really thought you wanted that. Was not
> transient-mark-mode turned on by default to make Emacs default
> behaviour a bit more like other editing environments?

Yes.  But since then we got shift-selection-mode, and also sort of
parallel the behavior of mouse-selections was mostly folded with
temporary transient-mark-mode.

So by now basically every non-historic way of setting a region makes it
active (or should?) even if transient-mark-mode is disabled.

That gives us a reasonable chance to obliterate all differences between
region-activating commands (like mouse-region-delete-keys) without
causing anybody pain.

--
David Kastrup