Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:15:14 +0100

Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden> writes:

> + David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

>> > There is none.
>>
>> You can set the mark, move somewhere else, type stuff there, and return
>> using C-x C-x, again typing stuff there, without destroying anything you
>> have written.
>
> You can still do that with delete-selection-mode turned on; you just
> need to hit C-g to deactivate the mark before starting typing in the
> new location.

And get a bell.  In the course of a normal editing operation.

We are talking about the beginner setup, remember?  The beginner that
did not yet customize things (like visible-bell) because he does not
know how.  The beginner that tries Emacs in an office full of people.

Not that this beginner will have a clue about C-g anyway: he'll just
have to figure out a different way to deactivate the region if he is
ever going to type another character.

--
David Kastrup