Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:38:18 -0400

> The doc for `pc-selection-mode' says that UNshifted arrow keys disable
> the mark (I guess it should say "deactivate", not "disable"). But
> I don't see that happening in Emacs 23. In Emacs 23, the arrow keys
> extend the active region, whether or not they are shifted, and whether
> or not `pc-selection-mode' is turned on.

Unshifted arrow keys indeed deactivate the mark in Emacs-23, but only if
the activation was with shifted arrow keys.

> FWIW, my own vote is still for `delete-selection-mode', not
> `pc-selection-mode' as the default.

I take advantage of this kitchen-sink thread to propose we mark
pc-selection-mode obsolete: as far as I know, in Emacs-23 it does not do
anything more than delete-selection-mode does (since the shift-arrow
selection part of its featureset is now provided by default anyway).

        Stefan