Re: delete-selection-mode (was: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UN

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode (was: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:42:31 -0400

Someone (Alan) wrote:

    > You have misconstrued Richard's post.  He went on to say that what is
    > useful for newcomers isn't necessarily what they expect or "want".
    > There's thus no indication there that he would support the rest of your
    > argument.

He is right about what I said, as a general point.
Whether it is relevant to this issue, I am not sure.

If delete-selection-mode affects only what DEL does after a
mouse-selection, then it should have no effect on editing in the
normal Emacs way with keyboard commands.  Perhaps there is no
particular reason to do, here, anything other than what beginning
users ask for.