RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:37:18 -0700

> > At one point of time you will have to decide either arguing
> > that Emacs provides obvious benefits over competing products,
> > or not.
>
> Compared to things like Eclipse, I see the following significant
> advantages:
>
> - does not impose a particular workflow or combination of tools.
>
> That's it.  To me there are of course many more advantages
> (e.g. it also works in a tty; I can read my email with it
> reusing the familiar and powerful editing features; lightweight
> (who'd have thought!?); ...).

Please, folks, lets keep to the topic as raised by Juri: `whether the default
should be d-s-mode or just t-m-mode'.

Why submerge that pointed topic under a sea of general discussion about Emacs vs
The Other? Doing that helps ensure that the real topic will be lost and go
nowhere. Please start another thread for the general stuff.

There really is only one question to discuss in this thread: "Which is better as
the default behavior, d-s-mode or t-m-mode?". T-m-mode is the current default;
Juri proposed changing the default to d-s-mode.

That question is plenty big enough. We can still bring in questions of who the
default behavior (for this) should be most aimed at, and other relevant
questions that have already been broached.

But it works against deciding the question at hand to widen the discussion to
anything and everything about Emacs and various ways of using Emacs.