Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:24:33 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> It is valid, but an O(1) type of argument.  It will not outweigh O(n)
> arguments even with a small factor eventually.  If something costs time
> repeatedly, saving startup time is not worth the trouble when we are
> catering about being efficient on a continuing base.

Saving startup time is one of the most important qualities a product can
have. Otherwise the potential user wonders "should I invest so much
effort on this?"

I gave up on Emacs twice before someone who I highly respect recommended
it to me. That was the needed motivation for the painful process of
adapting my habits to Emacs. Since years ago, young users need a strong
motivation for switching to Emacs as it is no longer an editor that
provides obvious benefits over competing products.

People will start using Emacs thanks to the availability of modes for
almost all languages, or thanks to features like org-mode. Nobody will
start using Emacs for enjoying the virtues of micro features that go
against their learned practice. You can try preaching those features on
them, but always *after* they are converted to Emacs. Otherwise you risk
scaring them away.

Really, Emacs need to lower the entry barrier as much as possible if we
want to attract new users.

[snip]