Re: plan for emacs python tooling (esp python.el, python-mode.el)?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: Re: plan for emacs python tooling (esp python.el, python-mode.el)?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:43:19 -0400

summary: I'll followup with the python*el folks and CEDET regarding
current and future python development environments for GNU emacs.

details:

Tom Roche Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Stefan Monnier Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:58:04 -0400
>>> The plan is to ship it with python.el until we can ship it with
>>> python-mode.el (the barrier being [copyright] assignments).

<sigh/> Given the duration of that barrier to date, ISTM one must
assume python-mode.el's copyrights won't be assigned.

Andreas Roehler Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:47:57 +0100 (rearranged)
>> as far as I understand the OP, the focus is rather the python-
>> environment than the editor.

That is technically correct, but (I suspect, and ICBW) practically,

* the python development environment needs a platform.

* Given that coding python ~= editing test files, that platform is
  most reasonably a text editor.

Hence I want a

http://jdee.sourceforge.net/

IIUC this is the "best of breed" code environment for GNU emacs (am I
missing something?) so I regard it as a model.

>> Such an environment should enable emacs editing modes, but vim and
>> other free tools too.

Again, technically correct, but

* I want a python development environment for GNU emacs, since that's
  what my fingers know. (Which is why I'm not (at least initially)
  getting Wing or PyDev: I'd end up using emacs to edit the files
  underneath, as I was forced to do when working on Eclipse.)

* The *macs ecosystem already contains robust tools for providing
  coder services (e.g. the "JDEE features" above), e.g. CEDET. Since
  the JDEE definitely exploits CEDET, and GNU emacs is apparently in
  the process of integrating CEDET (no?), I tend to assume a PDEE
  should do this too.

* I don't see the editor-independent interfaces to the services above.
  Am I missing something? (I am very new to python.)

If the above is true, then it seems the fastpath to a richer PDEE is
CEDET integration. No? Except ...

Eric M. Ludlam Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:37:13 -0400
> The CEDET support for python parsing (which would handle
> autocompletion type tasks [among] others) is also (as far as I know)
> held up by a copyright assignment.

<sigh/> I'll followup about that separately.

your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <address@hidden>