Re: plan for emacs python tooling (esp python.el, python-mode.el)?

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: plan for emacs python tooling (esp python.el, python-mode.el)?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:37:13 -0400

On 03/16/2010 06:47 AM, Andreas Roehler wrote:
as far as I understand the OP, the focus is rather the python-environment than
the editor.

As far as it concerns editing, python.el, python-mode.el are both suitable IMHO.

Don't see a real gain by switching one for the other. If a precise feature is
missed here or there, let's implement it...

Progress would mean having a download source for an environment, which offers
all needed at once:
debugging, refactoring, auto-completion etc.

Such an environment should enable emacs editing modes, but vim and other free
tools too.

The CEDET support for python parsing (which would handle autocompletion type tasks amonng others) is also (as far as I know) held up by a copyright assignment.

Exuberent ctags supports python (though I don't know by how much), and adding support in the CEDET/Semantic exuberant ctags support wouldn't be too hard. Likely something like the patch attached.

Hmmm. I see that the exuberent ctags support does not appear to be a part of Emacs. Well, you could try the most recently posted version of CEDET with the below patch instead if you wanted to try it.

Eric