Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 05:49:35 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>>> http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~dixa/papers/scrollbar/
>> http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~dixa/papers/scrollbar/scrollbar2.html
>
> That's pretty flimsy...
>
> -Miles

Not really in that it makes perfect sense. Most keyboard jockeys use a
scroll bar to indicate relative positioning with most apps, and it being
on the right IS out of the way and it being on the right is more
consistent with the HUGE majority of other desktop applications.

If you turn it around, I can think of no compelling reason to have it on
the left. If I were to use a scroll bar it would be with the mouse and
guess where my idle mouse pointer usually is ..... lurking around out of
harms way on the ... right of the screen ie closed to where most people
put their scroll bar.

Emacs doesn't always have to be counter intuitive to non hardcore
terminal users and Emacs nOObs ...