Re: bidi branch (was: Emacs-23 release branch)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi branch (was: Emacs-23 release branch)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:41:54 +0200

> From: James Cloos <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Copyright: Copyright 2009 James Cloos
> OpenPGP-Fingerprint: E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:19:16 -0500
>
> Having the code in the repo in its own branch will be useful for the
> rest of us, especially given that you wrote that merging into trunk
> would not happen right away.

As I explained elsewhere, the bidi code is inactive unless the user
customizes a per-buffer variable.  So the reasons for not merging into
the trunk are not for fear of totally breaking Emacs, and will also
delay publishing as a public branch.

> And even if it were to happen right away, going through a public branch
> may ease future bisection and other anthropological pursuits withing the
> repository.

Unless someone objects strenuously, I intend to merge all the current
history I have on my local branch, without any rebasing or similar
tricks that futz with the history.  Therefore, bisection will not
suffer either way.

> In any case, I cannot hurt to make your branch public, and there is no
> good reason not to do so within the master repo.

I'm still unclear why it makes more sense to have a public branch than
to merge with the trunk.