Re: Emacs-23 release branch

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs-23 release branch
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:18:17 +0800

On 10/03/2010 12:09, Chong Yidong wrote:
* TTZ's experiment with SVG progress bar, abstracted into a general
   Emacs library for embedded graphics.
   If we can do this, I would also like to seriously consider switching
   to SVG as the default image library, replacing our use of xpm (e.g.,
   the inline xpm images that we use for certain buffer widgets should be
   turned into SVG).

Sounds good, but currently our implementation of SVG is tied heavily to GTK, which makes using it on other platforms difficult and bug prone due to all the dependencies that get pulled in, not all of which have been ported well.

If we make some effort to support the cairo backend of librsvg as an alternative to the gdk_pixbuf backend, then it might help.