Re: shouldn't `delete-blank-lines' treat form-feed as whitespace?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: shouldn't `delete-blank-lines' treat form-feed as whitespace?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:35:49 +0000

Drew Adams wrote:
`delete-blank-lines' treats SPC, TAB, and newline as whitespace.
Shouldn't it also treat form-feed (aka \f, aka ^L) as whitespace?

While it's logically formally a whitespace class character, I'm quite unconvinced it would "feel right" to me. formfeed is usually put in much more rarely and with more forethought than space/tab/newline.

It's also not "blank" in one possibly important sense: in emacs "out-of-box" it shows up as a quite visible "^L", whereas SPC/TAB/newline are invisible unless you turn on whitespace.

So delete-blank-lines would end up deleting lines, that from a naive viewpoint, look like they "have something on them".

Imagine you've got a text file with "page breaks" in it (represented as formfeeds as is/was the convention (see "C-x [" / "C-x ]" !)):

^L
alpha
bravo
charlie[]

^L
delta
epsilon

Say I hit C-x C-o where the point [] is. I wouldn't just delete those stray blank lines on the first page, I'd suddenly merge two pages. So I strongly suspect changing it would annoy people who still sprinkle ^L through their code or other files for pagination. Something I guess I personally don't do so much anymore (got a laser printer not a dot matrix...), but anyway.