Re: Integrating package.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:46:28 -0600

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:39:34 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

RS> It looks like some people are trying to turn this into a package
RS> system with all the features of Debian.  Please don't do that.  The
RS> reason it is ok to install package.el is that it doesn't try to be a
RS> full-blown package system.

The only major feature that has been added (by Phil Hagelberg) is
support for multiple package repositories.  I don't think any others are
under review; the only outstanding issues I know of are Stefan's
concerns about overlapping installs and a request for menus.

All the discussion about testing, versions, and dependency tracking is
purely theoretical and I expect it to benefit the package repository
contributors and maintainers in the long run.  I don't think that
functionality should necessarily be pushed into package.el.

Ted