Re: patch for emacsclient to support GNU_NODE

From: Hugh Holbrook
Subject: Re: patch for emacsclient to support GNU_NODE
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:37:44 -0800

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> GNU_NODE_EXCLUDE is useful if some directory is mounted with the same...

Could you point to some origin for this mechanism?
Googling only seems to point to this current thread and to some
gnuclient stuff.

I was not aware of any other documentation than this, but searching google groups turned up this link:

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs/browse_thread/thread/dcb0343a012b69dc/86931742d045b117?q=GNU_NODE#86931742d045b117

to a posting from 1989 that is, I believe, the origin of the implementation in xemacs.

My understanding is that gnuclient uses four environment variables to control the way that it connects to the server:

GNU_PORT and GNU_HOST to identify the location of the server
GNU_SECURE for authorization
GNU_NODE (as described in this thread).

As you probably know, emacsclient is different in that it uses a single file in .emacs.d/server to identify the server's location, and for authorization, I believe.

On my machine this file looks like this:

127.0.0.1:41055 15289
R`HIRQ;address@hidden|'n1",)SBf:1<Cu('ad1kIi1=yqZ

I considered using a more descriptive name than GNU_NODE (EMACSCLIENT_PREFIX?) but ended up with GNU_NODE just for compatibility, although given all the other differences the compatibility argument for doing things this way is not very strong.

Is gnuclient the only other program using such
a convention?

I think so.  I'm not aware of any other program that uses GNU_NODE in this (or any other) way.  The idea and the environment variable name were entirely inspired by gnuclient in my case.  GNU_NODE_EXCLUDE is, to my knowledge, a new extension.

-Hugh

       Stefan