RE: file-truename, convert-standard-filename

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: file-truename, convert-standard-filename
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:25:46 -0800

> > If my code gets a file name from the user, and I can't depend on it
> > being valid for the given platform... Seems to me this would be
> > similar to the literal-file-name-string-in-code situation.

> The error message that Emacs receives from the system in case of an
> invalid file name might be unhelpful (not tell the user what was wrong
> with their filename).  Nonetheless, transparently changing
> (on Windows) a user's value of "really?" to "really_" (or whatever)
> is Not The Right Thing.

;-)

I was thinking more of a defcustom value entered by a user (not a default
defcustom value). Seems like that could be problematic in the same way a literal
string might be.

But the bottom line in practical terms wrt `c-s-f' still seems to be: YAGNI.

As Stefan said, `c-s-f' is needed "where it would be a bug if that file name
turned out to be invalid on the current system", as opposed to situations where
an error will be raised if the name is invalid.