Re: emacs-w3m?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:59:59 +0900

Robert J. Chassell writes:

 > I really don't think I did more than a `commit' but I cannot remember so
 > I am not sure.

As Óscar says, that would require a rather spectacular bug in Bazaar;
I would surely expect it to be reported and I haven't seen such.

 > As far as I know, the documentation does not recommend a `diff'
 > before a `commit' or an `add'.  It should so that a person notices,
 > even one who makes mistakes like I do.

Maybe the documentation should recommend running "bzr status" before
committing, at least if you haven't committed within the limits of
your short-term memory.  This simply lists the files have been changed
and will be committed, along with a brief description of the change.

Alternatively, I think vc-dir gives you a directory view which makes
it easy to see status at a glance (I don't use vc-dir though, I may be
talking through my hat ... surely either vc or dired has some such
functionality).

 > Why did the files of W3M mode in my Emacs get added?

"Somebody ran 'bzr add'" is the only explanation consistent with the
documented behavior of Bazaar.  In particular, if you run "bzr add"
with no arguments, everything in the tree that is not already
versioned and is not listed in .bzrignore will be added.  Since AIUI
this is your first commit from that workspace, it seems possible you
did that at some time in the more or less distant past, and this issue
has been lurking ever since.