Re: Integrating package.el

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:56:33 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:
What remains to be done to make package.el a part of Emacs?  I think
Dan Nicolaescu's suggestion about menus makes sense.  Is there anything
else?

For me, the only thing holding it back is the ability to concurrently
install different versions of the same package.

I find _calling_ the facility "package" of (minor) concern.
Clearly it's not package as in Common Lisp package::symbol

Obviously, Emacs Lisp is not Common Lisp and there's more than enough precedent for the other "package" usage from elsewhere, I expect most Emacs users would in fact be more used to it from GNU+Linux distros for starters.

But could maybe just add something like this to the ELPA FAQ? Though it should be fairly obvious, newbies who don't know some core differences between Emacs Lisp and Common Lisp may be briefly caught out:

Q. Does this implement Common Lisp style "packages" (of symbols) for Emacs Lisp?

A. No, it does not, neither as its primary goal nor as an implementation detail. Think "package" purely as in "program code distribution bundle". Note that the fact that a Common Lisp "program code distribution bundle"* is typically a bundle of some program code that defines and then defines itself in a particular Common Lisp "package of symbols" is an aspect of Common Lisp language and conventions completely irrelevant for and alien to Emacs Lisp.

* sometimes referred to as a "package" even in the Common Lisp world.