Re: Compiling Emacs 23.1.92 on Windows fails

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs 23.1.92 on Windows fails
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:56:20 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

    > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
    > Cc: Christoph <address@hidden>
    > Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:38:35 -0500
    >
    > > Yes, that turned out to be the problem.
    > > Using mingw32-make instead of cygwin's make worked and built
successfully.

    > Thanks.  Eli, would it be possible to detect the use of cygwin's make
    > and output a warning in that case?

    If someone tells what does the Cygwin Make print under --version, and
    if there's something Cygwin-specific there, then yes, we could test
    that in nt/configure.bat.

    Failing that, w32proc.c:w32_executable_type has code to detect Cygwin
    executables by scanning their DLL import table for cygwin.dll.  We
    could start the build by compiling a simple program to diagnose
    make.exe using that method.  Seems a bit gross, though.

I don't know if this is related, but here is the contents of config.log
when I did,

cmd /c configure.bat --without-png --without-jpeg --without-tiff
--without-gif --cflags -IC:\libXpm-3.5.8\src

gcc -c junk.c
junk.c:1:29: error: cygwin/version.h: No such file or directory
The failed program was:
#include "cygwin/version.h"
main(){}
gcc  -c junk.c
gcc -c -O2 -mtune=pentium4 junk.c
GCC supports -mtune=pentium4
gcc -c -gdwarf-2 -g3 junk.c
GCC supports DWARF-2
Emacs successfully configured.

'Cept, still no support for the tool-bar icons.

I sure would appreciate any feedback about the configure syntax above.