Re: Process exit status on different platforms

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Process exit status on different platforms
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:18:46 -0800 (PST)

[Sorry this reply is so much delayed; perhaps it will nevertheless be
useful.]

> Are there any variable that could be used to check if call-process
> exited with success status?

I don't know of any.

> Is not this return value platform dependent?

Not much.  VMS is the only system I know of that doesn't use the "0 means
success, and everything else means some kind of failure but there's little
to no convention" convention.  I think it uses 1 for success and 44 for
catastrophic failure (with other values for minor problems), but that's
just from a very little searching.  (It's worth noting, as the glibc
manual says, that 1 means "successfully found differences" in diff and the
like, and it means merely "no matches" in grep and the like:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Exit-Status.html)

Davis

shipping.