Re: ChangeLogs on CVS? Commit netiquette.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs on CVS? Commit netiquette.
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:21:11 -0500

>>> Not sure what recipe to post, but the adventures with bzr2
>>> eventually crashed my Jaunty box
>> Then it's unfair to blame it on bzr, it's either a problem in the OS
>> or in the hardware.
> Memory overcommitting is a frequent OS allocation strategy.  When it
> fails and some program eats all that is there and more, some process has
> to die.  If the wrong one is chosen, the system can fail.

I've seen X die, but that's the worse I've seen and I haven't seen it in
a very long time (maybe just because current disk sizes mean that swap
space is usually sufficient that the machine will thrash to death before
running out of memory).

But "X died" is a long shot from "crashed my box".  Tho admittedly, some
people may use the term "crashed" in inappropriate ways.

This said, yes, memory use of bzr is sometimes a problem and it may
potentially be the cause of the report, in which case it's not the
OS/hardware that's to blame.

        Stefan