Re: (kbd) for key bindings

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: (kbd) for key bindings
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:18:48 +0900

Steve Revilak <address@hidden> writes:
> I'd never heard of (kbd) before, but I like that representation a lot.
> It's the same syntax that describe-key outputs, and it's also the same
> syntax that people use when writing about emacs key bindings (e.g.,
> the emacs tutorial).  If you understand what "C-x C-f" means, then you
> basically know how to supply arguments to kbd.

I'm not sure kbd is really the best "universal solution" though.

The fact that it's a macro can be annoying and surprising (you can't
funcall it, for instance) and its key syntax seems worryingly ad-hoc --
the "output format" that kbd purports to parse is meant for easy human
readability, not unambiguous machine parsing.

-Miles

--
Happiness, n. An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of
another.