Re: pointless buttons at end of VC log buffers

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: pointless buttons at end of VC log buffers
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:38:40 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> If I do a vc log command (e.g., "C-x v L"), i get the log in a
> "*vc-change-log*" buffer, and at the veryyy end of the buffer, I see:
>
>    [Show 2X entries]    [Show unlimited entries]
>
> However these buttons seem useless, as the buffer already contains all
> log entries (about 1200)!
>
> * It seems like it should only show these buttons if the log listing
> gets interrupted for some reason.

For this, VC-log needs to count how many revisions it is showing and
compare with the number of revisions on the branch. Looks like too much
work. OTOH, on some backends (i.e. git) it is difficult to differentiate
the first (oldest) revision from any other on the log listing, as it
lacks revision numbers.

> Also, the formatting is a bit off, as the above buttons are not preceded
> by a newline... they're glommed onto end of the last line of the log
> listing.
>
> * So, some code should make sure there's a newline before the buttons --
>  indeed, it should probably add an entire blank line between the last
>  log line and the buttons so they stand out more (I didn't even notice
>  them for a while...).

It seems that git does not append a newline to the last revision. The
buttons look fine for Subversion and Bazaar, although a blank line
before them would be aesthetically pleasant.