Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 20:20:03 +0100

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:55:40 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> convert-standard-filename does convert such file names to something
>> the OS understands. That is correct.
>>
>> However convert-standard-filename does more than that, ie more than
>> its name maybe suggests. It actually converts any Emacs file name to
>> something the OS understand.
>
> No, it converts the file name to a valid name on the OS.
> Understanding a file name, whatever it may mean, has nothing to do
> with it.

:-)

Ok, I give up on this. What I am saying is just what you are saying:
"it converts the file name to a valid name on the OS". I just thought
that the manual should say this more clearly.

Though I prefer avoiding technical terms when I think it is clear what
I mean (because IMO it normally leads to faster communication and
better understanding than using pure technical terms).