Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:39:11 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I have Yudit installed, but I cannot get it to display Hebrew text (it
shows hex numbers instead); if someone knows how to do that on
Windows, please tell.

Well, I don't really, but some searching turned up

http://indictrans.in/en/documentation/howto/yuditwindowshowto

Which suggests you have to copy a ttf (presumably with the relevant glyphs...) to the fonts directory under your yudit installation, rather than expecting it to pick up windows installed fonts, and declare it ttf in the yudit.properties file.

There's also
http://www.yudit.org/en/howto/configure/
and question 8 in the FAQ looks relevant:
http://www.yudit.org/en/faq/

I don't really know yudit well, I just installed it via the debian package manager, it apparently looked after creating a proper yudit.properties file for me (attached, though obviously for debian).

But someone told in this thread that it, too,
re-flows.

N.B. I only looked at whole lines of R2L or L2R in it previously - note in the previous screenshot that any newlines in the yudit buffer are shown as visible blue "enter" glyphs, otherwise you can assume they're continuation lines. i.e. I didn't mean re-flow as in re-fill (inserting newline bytes into the file as necessary), I meant re-flow as in wrap into continuation lines. Possibly that was a bad use of re-flow on my part, I dunno. (In context of the previous post in question, it was to point out that yudit doesn't _do_ truncation, only wrapping (and uses the window margins for wrap column), so the question of horizontal scrolling doesn't arise in it.)

I did not previously look at single lines of mixed R2L and L2R text being wrapped into continuation lines. As far as I can tell, an L2R line will be continued at the left even if wrapped at an R2L span within it. An R2L line will be continued at the right even if wrapping at a L2R span within it.

I've attached new screenshots, before and after resizing the window to cause wrapping, anyway. yudit has word boundary wrapping, so there's two after shots, one with it on and one with it off (see FAQ Q18). They're probably not all that helpful compared to having a working
yudit to play with though.

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image