Re: visual-line-mode tweaks

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode tweaks
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 07:18:54 +0200

* 2010-02-04 10:06 (+0900), Miles Bader wrote:

> I think it's fine if minor modes _interact_ in some way that helps the
> user, but I think such interaction should be dynamic (so for instance,
> if I turn visual-line-mode off again, auto-filling should once again
> be enabled; one could do this by saving previous state or whatever,
> but that gets messy and flaky).
>
> How about having auto-fill-mode be a nop when visual-line-mode is
> enabled (so the change would be to auto-fill-mode instead of
> visual-line-mode)?

I don't like that idea. Let's also think about the case when user turns
visual-line-mode on automatically in text-mode-hook because it makes
sense with most text modes. Then he turns auto-fill-mode on in _some_
hooks for modes which are derived from text-mode, such as org-mode and
message-mode. So, obviously turning auto-fill-mode on should turn its
behavior on.

I actually described my settings. If this "visual-line-mode tweak"
feature were already in place it's very likely that I would have sent a
bug report about visual-line-mode and auto-fill-mode not working
together. So, the bottom line is that I think a logical expected
behavior is more important than some narrow-case convenience.