Re: Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:22:27 +0100

> Why should it change from what it returns now?

Because it's no more a window but a line property, IIUC.  When, after
scrolling the first line, you move `point' to show another portion of
the second line like this

      +---------+---------+-------------------+
      |$ijk     |abcdefgh$|abcdefghijk        |
      |KJIHGFED$|$HGFEDCBA|        KJIHGFEDCBA|
      |         |         |                   |
      +---------+---------+-------------------+

you get two different non-zero values of `window-hscroll'.  Or am I
missing something?

> Or are you saying that we should scroll the R2L lines to the right by
> as much as we scroll the L2R lines to the left?  That is, are you
> saying we should display the last example as

>       |$ijk     |abcdefgh$|abcdefghijk        |
>       |     KJI$|$HGFEDCBA|        KJIHGFEDCBA|
>
> Is this what you are suggesting?

This would be needlessly inconvenient.  Hence, `window-hscroll' should
probably return the value for the line `window-point' is on.

martin