Re: `bzr viz' slooow

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: `bzr viz' slooow
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 23:07:24 +0100 (CET)

>> The most valuable tool of git is `gitk' to visualize changes
>> together with the corresponding tree.  The pendant is `bzr viz',
>> using the `gtk' plugin for bazaar.  However, it is very slow.
>> Calling this command for the emacs trunk takes five minutes to
>> start on my laptop with a a dual-core 1Ghz CPU having 1GByte of
>> memory.
>
> What kind of branch is your trunk?

I've no idea.  How can I find it out?  Below the `emacs' directory I
have a `.bzr' directory with about 275MByte and a `trunk' directory
with about 116MByte.  If I do a `bzr pull' I change into `trunk'.  The
same for `bzr viz'.

BTW, `bzr info' within `trunk' gives

  Repository tree (format: 2a)
  Location:
    shared repository: /home/wl/bzr/emacs
    repository branch: .

  Related branches:
    parent branch: sftp://address@hidden/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk/

> Is it according to the workflow in the wiki page (i.e., a bound
> branch with local repository) or something else?

I checked it out about a month ago; at that time those infos weren't
available at all...

> Regardless, look in your .bzr.log file and tell us what part takes
> most of the time in your frequent operations.  Each line in the log
> has a time stamp, so it's easy to see the sinks.

Do you mean this?

  0.048  bzr arguments: [u'viz']
  0.066  looking for plugins in /home/wl/.bazaar/plugins
  0.066  looking for plugins in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/plugins
  0.161  encoding stdout as sys.stdout encoding 'UTF-8'
  0.554  Didn't find search plugin
  491.534  return code 0

This doesn't give any sensible information IMHO since apparently the
subprocesses of `bzr viz' don't write any log data into this file,
which is a pity.

    Werner