desktop.el - only one desktop file per directory?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: desktop.el - only one desktop file per directory?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:16:23 -0800

For anyone familiar with Desktop or its code -

(I tried contacting the author, but the email address for him in desktop.el is
apparently no longer valid.)

I haven't used desktop.el. I was thinking of using it from some Lisp code.
Looking over the code, it seems that it only allows for a single desktop file
per directory.

Is that right? If so, is it an important restriction (to maintain)?

With code I can of course create multiple desktop files in a dir. But
`desktop-read' seems to expect only one.

I guess I can plow through the `desktop-read' code and figure out which bits of
it I really need (beyond just calling `load' for the file). But I thought I'd
ask here first. Suggestions about which bits of the `desktop-read' code are
essential?

Is there a good reason that the basic functions don't just accept a (full) file
name (and potentially allow for multiple files per dir)?

Would the mere existence of more than one desktop file in some dir wreak havoc
with the normal use of Desktop (provided it is not pointed to such a dir and
thus left guessing)? Lock or owner problems, perhaps?