Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Handling invisible text in bidirectional display

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: Handling invisible text in bidirectional display
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:39:44 +0200

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:17:35 David Kastrup wrote:

> I disagree, because there is no reason for 5 and 4 to switch their order
> anymore.

Eli may had a poor example but he has the correct logic.

Let me give you a better everyday example.

A table with alternate Latin and Hebrew columns, something like:
       HEB1 lat1 HEB2 lat2 HEB3 lat3
which is displayed as (in R2L reading frame):
       lat3 3BEH lat2 2BEH lat1 1BEH
Now if HEB2 and HEB3 are invisible, Eli method will show:
       lat3 lat2 lat1 1BEH
While your method will produce:
       lat1 lat2 lat3 1BEH
i.e. the columns will have changed places.

It is even more complicated when the Latin is replaced by digits.
(if lat1 is a number, Eli's method does not change, while your
method produce:  lat2 lat3 number 1BEH).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign