Re: problem with font lock

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: problem with font lock
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:15:59 +0100

"alin.s" <address@hidden> writes:

> begin by understanding which module tries to paint the region you expect.
>
> There are many different  : overlays, font-lock based on classes of syntax,
> font-lock based on regular expressions, etc.
>
> You must have patience and discover which of these modules paints every
> character/word from the buffer where you are interested.
>
> Look into the elisp manual.
>
> When you comment a line you should expect that the author of the minor/major
> modes actives defined the fontification using the font lock for the
> "comment" syntax class; its color is defined in font-lock-comment-face'. But
> it is not sure that the commented line was fontified so.

When it appears, the problem happens with many different modes (elisp,
c, c++, my own variants of those two, haskell, scheme) and not only
for comments: fontification of any syntactical element only happens when
explicitly requested. So looking for a problem with font lock sounds as
a good, if not sure, bet for now.

Thanks for the advice!
jao