Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:24:17 +0100

Hi,

   Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
   > I mentioned Launchpad only because it's one of the few that offer both
   > web and email UI (and does both well, IMHO), and therefore is a
   > proof-by-existence that it doesn't have to be this way.

   I admit, I tend to instinctively dismiss anything from canonical, and
   indeed launchpad in particular (because of its proprietary past, and the
   vague "all-consuming-bloat-master" feel one gets from using it on the
   web).  Perhaps it's better than I assumed.

   > We could use Bugzilla and still come out ahead.

   I vaguely thought we were talking about bugzilla at some point, I dunno
   what happened to that.  From that discussion, I seem to recall that it's
   gained some email control/discussion features (the lack of which has
   been a blocker for bugzilla traditionally), and seems to have slowly
   been losing some of its "confusing mess" reputation.

   [I think allowing email _replies_ in bug comments is pretty important --
   there's absolutely nothing more annoying than getting email
   "notification" of a discussion on a bug, and not being able to reply in
   email... web interfaces are generally pretty good for clicking buttons
   or searching, but not for having discussions.]

This was one of the reason I proposed debbugs as a potential
candidate. THe main concern was a bug tracker usable my e-mail
and debbugs came to my mind.

Nobody imposed anything and choice was done after a long period
of experiment and many hours have been invested in "porting" what
Debian offered to something close to people needs. That's sad
people are desperately wanting to change this after all these
efforts.

If there are things to enhance, maybe we could try to see how to
do them and send them back upstream.

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org