Re: Bazaar sends 700K upstream for a 1K file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bazaar sends 700K upstream for a 1K file
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 14:23:44 -0500

> Committing a change in `.bzrignore', a 1060 byte file, bzr sends about
> 700K of data upstream (according to the progress meter).  I know you
> will probably say ``switch to smart server'', but I'm just curious:
> what is sent in those 700K?

It could be a lot more than 700KB.  The repository data is stored in
large binary compressed files which are not really "append-only", so it
often ends up reading one of those files, adding some info to it, then
repacking it and writing it all out again, and then "atomically" replace
the old one with the new one.

When (not if) you get unlucky, it will do such a thing on a very large
file (look at the files in .bzr/repository to see how large it can get).

        Stefan