Re: bookmark.el bug report

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bookmark.el bug report
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 14:17:46 -0500

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:
>> I can't reproduce this.  Can you please try with the latest bookmark.el
>> and let me know an exact reproduction recipe, if you can reproduce?
>
>It is working, but still fragile if you don't put properties on bookmark
>when rebuilding in *-hide-filenames.

I've fixed it to work the way you recommend, which is more robust than
what I was doing before.  Thanks (there was a boundary error in my head
that led me to believe the old way was robust too, but then I remembered
about annotation marks appearing in the second column).

>,----[ bookmark-bmenu-hide-filenames ]
>| (while bookmark-bmenu-hidden-bookmarks
>|   (move-to-column column t)
>|   (bookmark-kill-line)
>|   (let ((name  (pop bookmark-bmenu-hidden-bookmarks))
>|      (start (point)))
>|     (insert name)
>|     (put-text-property start (point) 'bookmark-name-prop name)
>|     (if (and (display-color-p) (display-mouse-p))
>|      (add-text-properties
>|       start (point)
>`----
>
>Also, in the same function,now you have a new variable, there is no need
>to set column around bookmark title, just set it to this new variable.

I've gotten rid of the column variable -- you're right, it's no longer
necessary -- and am adding the text property now.

I think you might have an older version of bookmark.el; are you working
with the latest one from the Bazaar master branch?  If not, please do.
If you can't get it the usual way, then see [1] for another way.  Also,
it would be great if you can send suggested changes in 'patch' form
(i.e., using 'diff -u').  But I can read it the above way too.

>,----[ bookmark-bmenu-hide-filenames ]
>| (let ((inhibit-read-only t)
>|       (column bookmark-bmenu-marks-width))
>`----
>
>Why `bookmark-bmenu-marks-width' is set to 1 and not 2?

See above about boundary error.  Fixed now :-).

Thanks!

-Karl

[1]
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/annotate/head%3A/lisp/bookmark.el