Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 22:25:20 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> If you tweak a commit message on the savannah branch, bzr has no
>> mechanism for conveying that tweak to the other branches
>
> Well, that's just it: bzr _should_ have such a mechanism.  I really
> don't care if modifying a commit message would count as a new revision
> of the tree, all I care is that "bzr log" and friends show the
> modified commit message by default (if there would be a way to see the
> original one before the fix, that's okay too).

By replacing a revision with another revision, you are effectively
breaking the mirror branches on all sites that updated/pulled before the
"fix" (you make them diverge.) And that's the easier part. You will
cause lots of problems, really.

A mechanism that notices that certain revision replaces a previous one
and propagates the fact when two branches communicate, not only would be
very complex, but quite questionable from the ethical POV, as it could
be used to modify or destroy VC history by a malicious individual.

As for the commit message and other metadata such as the committer name
being part of the hashed data, it is considered a fundamental
requirement for keeping history integrity.

[snip]

--
Óscar