Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:36:59 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:19:43 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 08:02, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > If so, perhaps it's better to say on the wiki that
>> > "bzr update" be always used in trunk/, because it will always work, no
>> > matter if the mirror diverged or not?
>>
>> If you look at the archives of the Bazaar list, there's a thread "bzr
>> pull vs. bzr update" starting on Dec 16 where the issue is discussed
>> (specifically with respect to Emacs and the BzrForEmacsDevs document).
>
>Thanks for the pointer.
>
>After reading that, I think that the Emacswiki should recommend "bzr up",
>not "bzr pull".  The main reason is that the Bazaar docs say one should
>use `update' in this configuration.  Bazaar docs are far from ideal,
>but they are very clear on this issue.  It doesn't make sense, IMO, to
>confuse newcomers to Bazaar by going against the user manual, especially
>if we want to save them from extra confusion.
>
>Besides, with the trunk not treeless anymore, the chances that one-off
>changes will be done there just became higher, and with them the risk
>of having "bzr pull" error out ==> more confusion, and IMO for no good
>reason.

(For reference, the thread we're talking about begins at [1].
Personally, I find it more easily navigable at Gmane [2].)

The reason I went with 'pull' in the doc was because I thought we'd want
an error if there were local commits.  However, it's looking like some
developers will be using trunk for small one-off changes, and as Juanma
points out later in the thread [3], since trunk is a bound branch, a
developer would have to use 'commit --local' to have any local commits
there at all... which is so unlikely that if it happens, the person
clearly did it on purpose and knows what they're doing.

So between that and what you say above, it makes sense to me too to
switch to recommending 'update' in the doc.  I've done so.  Thanks for
synthesizing the arguments, Eli and Juanma.

-K

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2009q4/065443.html
[2]
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/64885/focus=64911