Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 01:11:19 +0100

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 23:54, Giorgos Keramidas
<address@hidden> wrote:

> If the changes are separate commits, it *may* be simple to avoid a
> gazillion merges (one for each small change) by using the rebase plugin
> of bazaar.  This way instead of having a history like

Yes, thanks to both Óscar and you for the idea. Unfortunately, as I've
said, I think it does not mess too well with ChangeLog.

BTW, I'm interested in ways to deal with ChangeLog issues like this.
For example, if you spend a while developing a large side project on a
branch, your ChangeLog in that branch will reflect the dates of
individual changes. In the past, at the moment of merging the branch
back into the trunk, the dates were changed (most of unicode-2, or
multi-tty, were entered into the ChangeLog at the date the merge
happened). With Bazaar, we'd like to keep that kind of operation as a
single merge, so perhaps the last commit in the task branch will need
to be a ChangeLog fix with the day the merging is planned... Works,
but seems a bit messy.

I know it has been decided we still will maintain ChangeLogs, and I'm
not going to discuss it, but it's a bit of a pity, when a good commit
message policy and bzr log --gnu-changelog could save us the trouble.

    Juanma