Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:28:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > It sounds a pity to have a tree that is never used in any way.  It
>> > just wastes disk space.
>>
>> But on the proposed workflow, the tree *is* used. To merge the changes
>> from the task branches, and to commit upstream.
>
> I don't know enough about bzr internals, but I was under the
> impression that the tree-less repository has all the information
> needed for that, albeit not in the form of the Emacs source files.

Merging may cause conflicts, which require editing files. This is why
you need the source files on that branch.

[snip]

On the topic of spoon-feeding the developers with bzr recipes, I think
it is quite pertinent if the recipe is simple enough.

BzrForEmacsDevs is not simple enough for people who have CVS
incorporated into their DNA. IMHO it lacks some clear explanation of the
new concepts (revisions, branches, merges, histories, divergence, etc)
so they can figure out what's going on, see most of the new
possibilities and ask to the "gurus" for advice using a discernible
language when they cannot decide among several options. Using a new
workflow without a sufficient understanding of the basic concepts may
cause mistakes and frustration. Maybe a pointer to some generic
introduction to DVCS plus a description of how Bazaar implements it
would be okay (I don't know any such decent introduction specific for
Bazaar, though.)

--
Óscar