i18n/l10n

From: smc
Subject: i18n/l10n
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:30:41 +0000

Hello, Walter, thank you very much for your interest.

We are now opening the page gnu.manticore.es to register
people interested in the project:

The central idea of the project is to test for so called
"internationalization" (i18n) of GNU Emacs  and
further
"localization" (l10n).
I.e. get all the user interface available in
the user's native language.

The I18N/L10N is:

1 .- Mark in the source code strings candidates to be

translated (there are 95 files for version 23.1 marked on plan

test).
2 .- Generate the .pot file.
3 .- Create the spanish .po file, do some translations and testing.
4 .- Generate the .mo file.
5 .- Make tests by building and compiling the Emacs source code
     at
least with some of the files selected. Include the .mo file

in the new installation and see if the strings are translated

properly.
6 .- The most important thing at this time would report the

compilation conditions: Operating System with

version, version of Emacs, hardware, etc. and their

results.

Successful results would be reported to the emacs-devel list for
show that it is possible to use the conventional method of GNU
Gettext for the sake of an Emacs available in any language and
so they can integrate this feature in a future version of the program.

While the
development core team of GNU Emacs is decided,
our web is advancing on the translation of the program manuals
and its extension language, as well as for complementary programs
such as Info, Texinfo, etc.   We have now more than 20 manuals
translated, including the Emacs manual, the Emacs Lisp Reference
manual, the Chassell Introduction, the Texinfo manual and many
more.

You can proceed to register as an user on the same page.

http://gnu.manticore.es

You can also do it for a sub-project that we have in
Savannah, although this is very specific:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/elisp-es

I am waiting for your news
Cheers

--