Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Basic Bazaar guide for Emacs hackers.
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:29:08 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> received.  (With a local branch, "bzr annotate" takes about 30
>> seconds, not exactly the speed of light, either.)
>
> Yes, it's a fairly slow operation, sadly.  I encourage you to complain
> to the Bazaar developers about it,

Operations that traverse history are intrinsically slow in Bazaar. Some
improvements can be made (microoptimizations, mostly) but they will
never be as fast as CVS (and I'm talking about bzr with local history vs
remote CVS server).

OTOH, `log' and `annotate' with local history are CPU-bound. A `log' in
almost any Emacs source file takes 6.2 seconds on a 2.4 GHz
workstation-class CPU and 22 seconds on a netbook. Worse, the `log' does
not produce any output until the end, and it requires the same time even
when you use the -l command line option for limiting the output at the
first N revisions. After I complained about this on Bazaar's ml, a
developer is attempting to change `log' for outputting stuff as soon as
possible and stop when the required number of revisions is met, but so
far he is disappointed seeing that his change makes the total time
required by a plain `bzr log' even larger. Of course this is a wrong
POV, but they give a lot of importance to raw performance numbers.

--
Óscar