Re: Making the tarball with bzr data

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Making the tarball with bzr data
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:46:53 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

>> There is a very simple & safe method for creating a tarball that just
>> requires untarring at the other end.

[snip]

> If I already have all the Emacs files locally (possibly with some
> changes) how do I do to make this a bazaar thing? (This must be the
> most common situation, or?)

The most simple solution is to create a working bzr setup as explained
on the wiki and then copy the modified files you have on your CVS
checkout over the corresponding files on the work branch of the bzr
setup.

I'm talking here assuming that people will use the workflow documented
by Karl and Stephen.

BTW, one advantage of the workflow they recommend over the one I
documented and CVS (which are equivalent on this specific aspect) is
that, when you end your working session, you can commit your changes
locally with a comment about its state and what remains to be
done. Later, when you come back, read what you put on the last commit
and keep hacking. When the work is complete, you push to upstream (with
or without the history of your private commits).

Another advantage of their workflow is that you don't need to mix the
implementation of distint features on the same working source tree. You
can easily create your own personal local branches, one for each task
you are working on.

--
Óscar