Re: Displaying bytes (was: Inadequate documentation of silly

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Displaying bytes (was: Inadequate documentation of silly
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:29:59 -0500

>> If so, should we change the default priorities?
> I'm not sure.  As it seems that windows-1252 is a superset of
> iso-8859-1, it may be ok to give windows-1252 the higher priority.
> How do iso-8859-1 users think?

The problem with windows-1252 is that all files are valid in that
coding-system.  So it's OK if there's a really high chance of
encountering such files, but otherwise it leads to many misdetections.

> For that, it seems that adding that facility in
> after-insert-file-set-coding is good.   Here's a sample patch.  The
> actual change should give more information to a user.

Maybe we could try that.  But I really dislike adding a user-prompt in
the middle of some operation that might be performed as part of
something "unrelated".  And indeed the actual change may need to give
a lot more information, mostly displaying the buffer without which the
user cannot make a good guess.

        Stefan