Re: bzr repository ready?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:41:26 +0000

Jason Earl wrote:

My workspace is at ~/project-name and my repository full of branches is
tucked away at ~/repos/project-name/branches .

As a git user, I've been trying to set up for emacs bzr tracking, and perked up a bit at your posts suggesting bzr could be more git like. With searching, I then found http://bazaar-vcs.org/GitStyleBranches

So I've been trying to work out one thing in particular - is there a bzr analogue of the distinction between master and remotes/origin/master ? I'm a bit confused by bzr "trunk" seemingly serving some double duty as a remote tracking and local branch in setup guides so far, so my (possibly quite contrary) stab at setting up went like the below.

I'm unclear on how to / if I should tell bzr that remotes-origin-trunk is a remote tracking branch (bzr bind?)

I /think/ bzr push --remember allows me to setup to push from my trunk to elsewhere while still merging from remotes-origin-trunk to my trunk (which I'd do after a bzr pull to update remotes-origin-trunk from origin trunk, by analogy to a git fetch) ?

cd /usr/local/src

bzr whoami "Joe Murphy <address@hidden>"
bzr init-repo --no-trees emacs-bzr-repo
bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk \
 emacs-bzr-repo/remotes-origin-trunk
bzr branch emacs-bzr-repo/remotes-origin-trunk emacs-bzr-repo/trunk
mv emacs emacs-cvs-old
bzr checkout --lightweight ../emacs-bzr-repo/trunk emacs

cd emacs
./configure
make -j8 bootstrap
make install