Re: C-j considered harmful (not really)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: C-j considered harmful (not really)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:57:12 -0500

> Evidently <S-return> is used to insert newlines in lots of programs.
> I've just searched for "shift-return" and "shift-enter" on the web and
> seen many examples.

> After reconsidering this I then suggest just that <S-return> should be
> usable as an alternative to C-j.

So you suggest

  (define-key function-key-map [S-return] [?\C-j])

?

I guess I could live with that.  But you'd still need to prefix it with
C-q in minibuffer prompts, wouldn't you?  So we'd need more changes,
e.g. making LF in minibuffer input not exit the minibuffer.  I've never
used an LF key, so I could live with that, but I don't know what other
people think about it.

        Stefan