Re: Cygwin patches

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Cygwin patches
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:37:02 -0500

On 11/22/2009 6:30 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Ken Brown <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/22/2009 6:03 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:
Ken Brown <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for the suggestion.  My revised patch is attached.  If it looks
OK, could someone please check it in?
Your patch looks incorrect.  It's not your job to add the "file://"
part; that's done in the rest of the function.  Does this corrected
patch do the right thing on cygwin?
Yes, it does do the right thing on cygwin.  As I said earlier in the thread,
the rest of the function *doesn't* add "file://"; it adds "file:" without
the slashes.  But if I add "file://", the rest of the function leaves this
alone.  I guess browse-url-filename-alist would have to be changed to make
it correctly add "file://" in this situation, but I haven't tried to dig
into it to figure out how it works.  It seemed easier (and harmless) to just
add it myself.

We were recently discussing if it should be file: or file:/// for w32.
I really do not know which is best but I suspect file:/// have a
slightly better chance to work. I just saw an instance
(css-validator.jar with Rhino) where it worked better.

So are you saying that "file:" (with no slashes) is added by design? It doesn't work for me. (After the call to cygpath, I have a path of the form C:/blah/blah/blah.html; I need to add "file://", since otherwise only "file:" gets added and I don't have a valid URL.)

Ken