Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:37:18 +0200

> From: Jason Earl <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:32:50 -0700
>
> So for example, you simply create a repository like so:
>
> bzr init-repo --no-trees emacs
>
> Then cd into the repository and create a mirror branch of mainline like
> so:
>
> cd emacs
> cvs branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/ trunk
>
> This will create a directory that is a branch, but the branch will not
> have any files in it.

How do I do this if my repository is local, downloaded with the scp
command discussed elsewhere in this thread?

> Now let's imagine that you want to do some actual hacking in a branch
> that you call dev.  You would create the branch like so:
>
> bzr branch trunk dev
>
> Finally you create a workspace directory.  This is the only directory
> that actually has any sources in it.
>
> bzr co --lightweight dev workspace
>
> From within the workspace directory you can change branches with the
> switch command.  For example in the root of the workspace directory you
> would type:
>
> bzr switch ../trunk
>
> to switch to the trunk.
>
> This setup allows you to switch between as many branches as you might
> care to make without having to do a make bootstrap in each, and indeed
> without having to waste space on duplicate (or nearly duplicate) copies
> of the source.

I miss the main issue here: what happens with files you actually
change on some branch when you switch to another branch?  Does bzr
magically revert them to the version of that other branch, behind my
back?  For example, let's say I modified foo.el on some branch, and
then re-built Emacs.  I now have foo.elc and an Emacs binary that have
it preloaded (let's say it's one of those loaded at dump time).  Then
I switch to another branch -- what versions of foo.el, foo.elc, and
the Emacs binary will I see now?