Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:37:51 +0200

> From: Óscar_Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 06:34:21 +0100
>
> You got that wrong. I was not suggesting that he shall create a remote
> branch. `bzr branch URL' creates a local branch:
>
> bzr branch http://somehost.com/repo/bzr/project/trunk
>
> creates a branch which is a clone of the branch pointed by the URL, but
> on your local machine.
>
> Besides, using a shared repository is just a disk&time saving trick, it
> doesn't affect the workflow otherwise.

So when to use a shared repository and when not?  Could you please
give some details that would allow one to make up her mind?

> So he needs to download the Emacs branch. `bzr branch URL' is one way,
> downloading a tarball is another. You can put the result of `bzr branch'
> directly on a shared repo.

What does the last sentence mean, in terms of commands that I would
need to issue?

> If you downloaded the tarball and want to put
> your mirror branch on a shared repository you need two extra steps
> besides downloading and untarring. The first is precisely `bzr branch',
> but this time locally using the tarball'ed branch as the parent, and the
> second step is configuring the resulting branch for using the remote
> emacs branch at GNU as its parent.

Again, please tell more details.  Showing the commands or pointing to
the bzr docs would be a good start.  Without some additional info, all
this sounds to me like a conversation in a language I don't
understand.  Please try to make it more understandable for someone who
does not have your level of knowledge and experience with bzr, but
needs nonetheless to make up her mind about the way to set up and use
bzr without wasting too much time.  Thanks in advance.